Like any pellet smoker, your grill needs to be seasoned before you can use it. The whole process roughly takes about an hour to complete and you’ll need enough wood pellets to run the grill on HIGH for at least 45 minutes.
How do you season a pellet grill?
To season your pellet grill:
- Fill the pellet hopper with pellets.
- Plug your grill into a power source.
- Make sure the flame deflector is in place over the fire pot.
- Flip the power switch to the ON position.
- Use the arrows to set the temperature to 400°F and let smoke for at least 1 hour.
What happens if you don’t season your Traeger grill?
Before cooking on your Traeger, you will need to season your grill–sometimes called burning in your grill. … This is a simple, one-time process that will burn off any residual, non-toxic oils/lubrication from the manufacturing process.
How do you break in a pellet smoker?
Pellet Grill – Breaking In
- Step 1: Load Hopper. It is assumed that your grill was assembled following the manufacturer’s instructions, including removal of most of the packing oil on key components such as the drip tray. …
- Step 2: Pre-Feeding Pellets. …
- Step 3: Initial Burn. …
- Step 4: First Use. …
- Step 5: Shutting Down.
Do I need to season my smoker?
Seasoning a new smoker before initial use is crucial to laying the foundation for great BBQ results. Doing so removes unwanted odors from the production process, protects the smoker from the elements and cures the paint, which helps it look new for years to come.
Should my Traeger smoke all the time?
To get a smokier flavor in your food, you will need to leave the Traeger set to smoke for a longer period of time. The amount of time you want your food to smoke will depend on what you are cooking. For example, a fillet of salmon may only need a few minutes of smoking, but a large brisket may need a few hours.
Can you grill on a Traeger without smoke?
Then the simple answer is, no. You can’t use Traeger without wood pellets. As Traeger is a pellet grill and its main source of fuel is wood pellets. If your Traeger running out of pellets during the cooking, the grill temperature reduces and flame off the grill eventually.
How do you season a vertical pellet smoker?
BBQ Tip: How to Season a Vertical Smoker
- Step 1: Remove the racks. A deep clean will require really getting into your vertical smoker, and so the best way to do that is get the cooking racks out the way by removing them. …
- Step 2: Apply cooking oil spray. …
- Step 3: Heat up the smoker.
How long does a Traeger take to ignite the first time?
Open-Lid Startup Process
Set your Traeger grill to the SMOKE setting with the lid open. You will hear the fan running. Wait for the fire to ignite and establish, roughly 5 minutes, give or take.
Can you grill normally on a Traeger?
You can grill, smoke, bake, yes BAKE, roast, braise, and BBQ on our grills.
How long does a bag of Traeger pellets last?
The average 20-pound bag of Traeger wood pellets will last anywhere from 6-20 hours depending on whether you are grilling (high heat) or smoking (low heat). The 20-pound bag costs about $20, so that’s a rate of about $0.33-$1 per hour depending on if you’re grilling on high or smoking on low.